Centre for Internet &Society,
No. 194, 2nd ‘C’ Cross,
Domlur 2nd Stage, Nr. TERI Phone: +91-(0)-9740074884
Bangalore- 560071, Karnataka., India email: [email protected]
Your browser may not support display of this image. Your browser may not support display of this image.
Date of Birth: 28th July, 1980.
Permanent Mailing Address: #503, Mak ParkView Appartments, Green Glen Layout, Bellandur, Bangalore – 560 103
* Director – Research, The Centre for Internet and Society, Bangalore.
* Doctoral Candidate, Centre for the Study of Culture and Society, Bangalore, affiliated with the Manipal Academy of Higher Education
* Recipient of the Asia Scholarship Foundation’s Fellowship for comparative research on Digital Practices in urban India and China; affiliated at the Centre for Contemporary Cultural Studies, Shanghai University, Shanghai, China, Cohort 2009-10.
* B.A. in English Literature from St. Xavier’s College, Ahmedabad.
* M.A. In English Literature (Post colonial literature and New Critical Theory -Gold Medalist), from the Department of English, Pune University, Pune.
* Doctoral Work at Centre for the Study of Culture and Society, Bangalore.
* P.G. Diploma in Women’s Studies , Women’s Studies Centre, Pune University, Pune.
I am an Indian researcher working in the field of Internet and Society in the last 6 years, specifically interested in questions of subjectivity, youth cultures, digital practices and urban restructuration in India and Asia. I have designed and taught courses in various university locations internationally and am in the process of defending my Ph.D. thesis which explores the question of a Technosocial subjectivity in rapidly globalising Asia. I have worked with the IT industry in my capacity as Information Architect, Cybercultures consultant and Programme manager and worked with governments, corporate, and civil society organisations to promote social inclusion, political justice, and transparent structures through digital and ICT technologies.
o Designed and taught a course on ‘Cyberspace in its plurality’ for postgraduate students at the Centre for Media and Culture Studies, at the Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai. 2008 – 10
o Designed and taught a course on ‘The Digital Classroom’ at Christ University, Bangalore 2009.
o Designed and coordinated a course for postgraduate students at Mudra Institute of Communication and Arts (MICA), on ‘Metaphors and Narratives’ 2008 - 10.
o Designed and taught a module on “Building of the IT City”, at CSCS, Bangalore. May 08.
o Two day workshop in ‘Technology and Gender’ at the Women’s Studies Centre, Pune University, 2007 - 2010.
o Taught a course in ‘Rethinking Media Laws’ at Christ College, Bangalore, Jul 07 -Sept.07.
o Designed and taught two modules in ‘IT City: Bangalore’ at CSCS, Bangalore. Aug.07.
o Visiting Affiliated Scholar at the Center for the Study of Sexualities, National Central University, Chungli, Taiwan Sept.06 – Feb. 07
o 3 day workshop on Cyberculture at Christ College, Bangalore. Apr.06.
o Workshop on Discourse Analysis and Feminist Critical Theory at the Women's Studies Centre, Pune University, Pune, Feb.06.
o ‘Understanding Cultural Productions’ at Christ College, Bangalore. Jul.04 – Nov.04.
o ‘Culture and Ethnic Identity in Music’ for undergraduate students from Washington University Seattle, at CSCS Bangalore. Jan. 04
o Workshop for undergraduate students in ‘Understanding spaces’ at St. Joseph’s College, Bangalore. Aug. 04.
o Research and Development, Information Architect on e-governance projects for different State governments in India, at Comat, Bangalore July 07 – June 08.
o Architected and designed the National Central University’s archive of animated films, for the Department of English, NCU, Taiwan, Dec. 2006.
o Information Architect for Khoj Studios Mar. 06 – Feb.07
o Information Architect for Centre for the Study of Culture and Society 2004 – 2005.
o Cybercultures consultant for Partecs: Participatory Technologies, Aug 05 –Oct 2005.
o Cybercultures consultant for the Communities Team at Yahoo India. Dec.04 – May 05.
* “Of Jesters, pranksters and clowns: YouTube and the condition of collaborative authorship”, in the Journal of Moving Image, Jadavpur University, April 2010.
* “Internet and Society: New Challenges in Asia” in Inter-Asia Cultural Studies, Taipei, January 2010.
* “Now Streaming on your nearest screen : Contextualising New Digital Cinema through Kuso” in the Journal of Chinese Cinema. Routledge. August, 2009.
* “Digital Natives with a Cause? A knowledge framework” A report published for Hivos Knowledge Programme, The Hague, June 2009.
* Book Review of Rupa Haq’s “Beyond Subcultures: Pop, youth and identity in a post-colonial world” in the Journal of Popular Music Studies . Blackwell. Sept. 2008.
* ‘Material Cyborgs; Asserted Boundaries : Formulating the cyborg as a translator’ in a special edition on Multimedia narratives in issue 12:2 of the European Journal of English Studies, Routledge. Aug. 2008
* Paper titled ‘Subject to Technology: Internet Pornography, cyber-terrorism and the Indian state’ for the Inter Asia Cultural Studies Journal, Vol. 8, Issue iii, pp 349-366, January, 2007.
* 'Once upon a Flash' exploring the politics and aesthetics of flashmobs in India for Sarai's Reader - Turbulence September, 2006
* Book review of Andy Clark's Natural Born Cyborgs, in MICA's Journal of Creative Communications published by Sage Publications, March, 2006.
* ‘Playblog: Pornography, Performance and Cyberspace’ for a special issue on internet pornography by cut-up media, Amsterdam, available at http://www.cut-up.com/news/detail.php?sid=413
* ‘Cyber/Spaces’ in the Council of Architecture’s (Mumbai) magazine Times, People, Places. August 2004.
* ‘Cinema: Reloaded’ published with S.V. Srinivas’ work on Hong Kong cinema at http://www.cscsarchive.org March 2003.
* Conducted a session on ‘Youth and New Technologies’ at the Global Voices Online Summit, Santiago, 2010
* Made a presentation on “Digital Natives with a Cause?” at the Re:Publica, Berlin, 2010.
* Presented a paper titled “Of Pranksters, jesters and clowns: Digital Natives in Asia” at the 2nd Digital Cultures in Asia conference, Taipei, 2009.
* Presented a paper titled “Some knowledge in search of Authority: Wikipedia and the question of knowledge” at the Conference on “Writing the Future”, at the Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi, India.
* Attended the conference for Asia Scholarship Foundation Scholars of Cohort 8; Orientation workshop for Cohort 10, Bangkok, Thailand, June 2008.
* Presentation titled “All new media is old media” at the Manipal Media Students’ Convention, Manipal, India.
* Presentation ‘Governance by Selection: The Sabarmati Riverfront Development Project and the politics of technologised relocation’ at the International Conference on ‘Technology, Governance, Citizenship’, at the Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore, Dec. 2007.
* Chaired panel on ‘The Database, Network and Archive (DNA) syndrome: The body, the city and the nation’ at the Inter Asia Cultural Studies Conference at Shanghai, June 2007.
* Lecture titled ‘Not Game to Gaming: Cybercultures and the Indian State’ University of Tampere, University of Art and Design Helsinki and Media Centre Lume, Sampoand, Finland as a part of their Games and Story Telling lecture presentations, March, 2007.
* Presentation ‘Kuso: the aesthetic of new digital cinema in Asia’ at the conference on Asian Cinema: Towards a Research and Teaching Agenda, hosted by CSCS, February 2007.
* Presentation ‘Subject to technology: Internet pornography, Cyber-terrorism and the Indian State’, at the Department of English, National Central University, Taiwan, Jan.07.
* Presentation 'On the Internet, nobody knows you are a dog: The mysteries of C2C networks' at 'The expanded field of video' organised by the Goethe-Institut, Max Mueller Bhavan (Bangalore), Karnataka Chitrakala Parishat, and IFA, Bangalore, Jun.06.
* Presentation on 'community art and cyberspace' at a workshop titled 'Public/community/intervention/art' at Khoj Studios, Delhi, Apr.06.
* Presentation titled 'The body in cyberspace' at the CSSSC International Workshop on Cultures of the Body at Goa, Jan. 06.
* Panelist at World Information City, Bangalore, on ‘Cyborgs and Cyborg Cities’, Nov. 05.
* Chaired a session on ‘Urban Legends’ at the Inter Asia Cultural Studies (IACS) Students’ pre-conference in Feb. 03 at CSCS, Bangalore.
* Paper titled ‘Cyberspace and the structures of governance’ at conference on Globalising Media, conducted by Mudra Institute of Communication and Arts (MICA) at Delhi. Nov. 04.
1. Ashish Rajadhyaksha Faculty, Centre for the Study of Culture and Society, Bangalore. Email: [email protected] Phone: 0-9845074968
2. Pooja Sood, Director, Khoj Studios, Delhi. Email: [email protected] Phone: 0-9810327436
3. Amie Parry, Faculty, National Central University, Chungli, Taiwan. Email: [email protected] Phone: 00886-925096781