Indian Ocean: A Research ProgrammeUp one level
The University of the Witwatersrand and the Centre for the Study of Culture and Society (CSCS) are proposing a Winter Workshop to be held in Bangalore in December 2006. The object of the workshop is to draw together cultural studies scholars working in African Studies and Indian Studies with a view to theorizing the nature of transnational connections between southern and East Africa, the Indian Ocean islands and India.
- CSCS; 9/12/2005; Report - December 2005; Exploring the Indian Ocean
- This is a report on the workshop 'Exploring the Indian Ocean as a Cultural Terrain', held on December 9-10, 2005, at CSCS, Bangalore.
- Indian Ocean Blog Forum
- Blog for Discussion of Indian Ocean issues. Please ensure that when you post a comment or a response that you PUBLISH that using the facility on the top right hand of your screen.
- Machado, Pedro; 2004; A Forgotten Corner of the Indian Ocean: Gujarati Merchants, Portuguese India and the Mozambique Slave Trade c. 1730-1830; The Structure of Slavery in Indian Ocean Africa and Asia; Campbell. Gwyn; London; Frank Cass; 17-32
- Essay by Pedro Machado
- Subramanian, Lakshmi; 2006; Merchants in Transit: Risk Sharing Strategies in the Indian Ocean; forthcoming
- This paper is a preliminary attempt to locate modes of merchant behaviour and commercial strategies adopted by Asian trading groups in the Indian Ocean during a period of transition in the second half of the eighteenth century.